What religion was your friend born into? What point is the meme below making?
Did God Create Us Ready Made The Way We Are Now?
Humans and OCTUPUSES shared the same ancestor: Both are descendants of a worm-like creature that lived 518 million years ago -and this could explain the creature’s high intelligence
- Octopuses are known to be highly intelligent and a new study finds this could be due to having brains similar to humans
- Researchers found octopuses possess a variety of gene regulators called microRNAs (miRNAs) in their neural tissue comparable to that of humans
- This is likely because humans and octopuses descended from the same primitive worm-like animal that lived 518 million years ago
Question: You may think hopping on one foot whenever drinking water creates magic that pleases God, but what does that have anything to do with me?
You can take a rotten, smelly apple, and try to give it to someone. The person will think you are silly. Also, you could take that rotten apple, spray it with perfume, and wrap it in the most elaborate and beautiful wrapping paper in the world, but in the end this is all piled upon a rotten apple and isn’t any less silly,
Question: Explain in a paragraph what a Young Earth Creationist Scientist is …
Quote of the day: “Conservative apologetics proceeds by assuming the conclusion, and then enacts interpretive special pleading and shoehorning to spin the evidence accordingly. It’s better to start with PhD New Testament scholars teaching at accredited secular universities.” (Darth Harley in Grade 11)
Or, in easier language:
Can you re-word the above Darth Harley quote to make it easier to understand?
Draw a comic about Jesus using one of his super powers at the wrong time.
Answers In Genesis is a Conservative Christian group who argue that if there is no God with the authority to tell us what is right and wrong, there is no such thing as objective/true morality. They say:
- “Many evolutionists are quite clear that evolution does not provide a basis for morality. If evolution is true, then there can be no universal moral code that all people should adhere to.“
Is this a good argument? For instance, would we say that if there is no God to “stamp” as true what criteria and standards we use to evaluate good figure skating, that we have no ground for calling a figure skating routine objectively good or poor?
Activity: Come up with a list of activities that are evaluated with criteria and standards, without talking about God. How might this relate to evaluating human behaviors as good and bad?
Here are some of the the opening lines for Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope. In the movie, the lines are accompanied by exciting music:
Activity: Compose some music to introduce a movie. See if your friends can guess the movie!
BONUS: Here is some original music by our Vice President Ed that would go great with a Darth Harley Star Wars movie:
As long as there have been humans, there have been those who believe with all their hearts that their imaginary friends are more important than their actual friends. Who is the real imaginary friend the comic is poking fun at?
Thinker Karl Mark said religion was constructed by people to calm uncertainty over their role in the universe and in society. His most well known statement on religion is
- Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people
Can you become addicted to things other than drugs or alcohol, like TV and Food?